CommCare is a mobile data collection platform that does not require a live internet connection in order to operate and collect data. However, there are some caveats and the basic workflow for CommCare to function is as follows:
- Connect device to internet –> update form and login with user credentials
- Travel to Field (no internet) –> collect data (device will save it in unsent folder)
- Connect device to internet –> sync data with the cloud
The mobile device needs to be connected to the internet for the following reasons:
- updating apps/surveys to newest version
- Logging in for the first time and/or changing user
How do you know if your form is unsent?
When you are collecting data in a disconnected environment (airplane mode, no connection, etc.) you will see the following for every survey you complete without being connected. The number represents surveys that are on the device but not synced with the cloud yet.
How do you sync that data to the cloud?
Step 1. Connect your device to the internet
Turn off airplane mode or connect via Wifi or mobile data
Ensure your device is connected by checking the status bar. Once you have established connection select the blue tile to sync.
You’ll then see the following:
You’ll see the following when you are successful in the data syncing.